When I was in first grade, I can remember a time when I took a book out of my backpack to read during recess. Some girls from my class saw me and started teasing me about it. “That book has chapters. You can’t read that. We don’t even have to read that in school yet.”
“Yes I can” I told them, and I could, because I had been reading with my parents before bed every night since I could remember, and any other time I could find. ”Prove it. Read something out loud then” they taunted.
“Well, you wouldn’t know if I’m actually reading it anyway, because you can’t read what it says”. They left me alone after that. Bazinga, 1st-grade me.
Below I’ve listed my favourite books, what I’m currently reading, and some great articles so that you can enjoy them too. I’m always looking for new and interesting reads, so if you have a recommendation I’d love to hear it!
- Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
- Wheatbelly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, And Find Your Path Back To Health by William Davis
- Marching Powder by Rusty Young
- The People Smuggler: The True Story of Ali Al Jenabi by Robin de Crespigny
- Driven by Robert Herjavek
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
My To-Read List
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
- Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- The Element by Ken Robinson
- What Colour is Your Parachute? by Richard N. Bolles
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferazzi
Articles on the Web
- Why Learning To Invest Is Your Best Defense – I want to learn how to invest intelligently for the future, and think all smart women (and men!) should too
- Screw New Year’s Resolutions: Try Designing Your Career – Exactly the kind of reading material a budding careerist like you or I needs come December (or anytime, really)